Dodman's Point, also known as Deadman's Point, the Dead Man's Rock of the novel. The serpentine arch is found at Dollar Ogo, on the Lizard peninsula.
The Geography of Dead Man’s Rock
Q's inspiration for the serpentine arch at Dead Man's Rock.
This is the Kynance mentioned in the novel.
The most southerly point on mainland Britain.
The village at the end of the Lizard peninsula.
The old spelling 'Mallyon' is used in the novel.
This is the Pedn Glass of the novel.
Wetland area near Mullion. One of the inspirations for Polkimbro village in the novel.
One of the places on which Polkimbro village is based.
One of the places on which Polkimbro is based. Site of Polperro meetinghouse, which was the inspiration for Polkimbro meeting-house in the novel.
St Grada and Holy Cross Church, one of the inspirations for Polkimbro parish church in the novel.
One of the inspirations for Polkimbro parish church in the novel.
The story is set at a serpentine cove, facing the Atlantic, a few miles north-east of the Lizard Point. This can be identified as the serpentine area of the Lizard peninsula from Coverack to Carrig Lug, which faces the Atlantic along the Treleaver cliffs from Pedn Boar to Blackhead. However, certain geographical details and place names have been superimposed upon the area for the sake of the narrative. The researcher needs to have in mind the actual location and Q’s imaginative reconstruction.
- Dead Man’s Rock or Dodman: Dodman Point lies to the east of Veryan Bay. The tunnel or serpentine arch of the Dead Man’s Rock is at Dollar Ogo on the Lizard.
- Kynance: Kynance Cove on the Lizard.
- Lizard Town and Lizard Point: Lizard Village and Lizard Point.
- Mallyon: a former spelling of Mullion on the Lizard.
- Pedn Glass: Chynhalls Point.
- Polkimbro fishing village: Hayle Kimbro Pool is in the parish of Mullion. Polkimbro fishing village is probably based on Coverack and Polperro.
- Polkimbra meeting-house: The Polperro meeting-house attended by Q’s forbears in Polperro. See the short story 'Parents and Children'.
- Polkimbro Anglican Church: the parish churches of Ruan Minor and Talland.